Some people have an allergic reaction to the glue used to hold eyelashes in place because it often contains formaldehyde, but a small number may be allergic to the fiber used to make their own false eyelashes. Allergic reactions to eyelashes may cause itching, burning, swelling, or a rash. In most cases, cyanoacrylate (the main component of eyelash glue) is known to be the substance that causes glue allergy. The adhesive in the eyelash glue and the solvents used to remove it can cause poisoning and serious injury.
Side effects include allergic reactions and corneal damage. In addition, eyelash extensions increase the risk of bacterial and fungal eye infections. Semi-permanent eyelash extensions are applied to each strand of natural lashes with a semi-permanent glue, usually a cyanoacrylate adhesive. Eyelash artists may develop an allergy to glue by inhaling the strong smoke of eyelash glue for an extended period of time.
Rubbing the top of the lashes with warm water, makeup remover or eyelash remover will help loosen the adhesive's grip. They may not be the fastest-drying or highest-retaining glues, but they are for customers with sensitive eyes or immune systems. If you or someone you know has eyelash glue in your eye, rinse it off and call the Missouri Poison Center right away. Temporary lashes are attached above natural lashes with a temporary adhesive, while semi-permanent eyelash extensions are attached to natural lashes with cyanoacrylate, the Super Glue adhesive.
One of the main causes of glue allergy, which many technicians overlook, is the health status of the eyelash customer. You've probably learned that glue for eyelash extensions heals because of its reaction to moisture (to be more specific, cyanoacrylate does). Sometimes, an eye care professional will need to remove any remaining glue or treat the eye to detect any abrasions. Some adhesives used to apply temporary or semi-permanent eyelashes have ingredients that are known to cause allergic reactions.
Poison Control recommended rinsing your eyes with water and applying eye ointment to help loosen the glue. If you think someone has gotten eyelash glue or swallowed it, call the poison control line at 1-800-222-1222. If you don't know if you have an allergy and are thinking about applying temporary or semi-permanent eyelashes for the first time, get a skin test to make sure there are no symptoms before using them around the eye. Keep in mind that this isn't just limited to customers, but it can also happen to eyelash artists, who are constantly exposed to smoke from extension glue. While a small percentage of customers develop an allergic reaction to eyelash extension glue, this allergy in and of itself is not particularly dangerous.